Leah's First Day of School
Charlie needed his picture taken on Leah's first day. He was excited too.
The first day was not without its snags. I drove to pick up Leah from school that afternoon. I left a little early because I was warned the pick-up line was crazy. Really, I had no idea how busy it would be. I waited and waited while my poor car came close to overheating, but there was no way I was turning it off and loosing what little A/C I was getting. It was over 100 degrees outside and I was close to loosing it. Finally the line started to move as the kids were released from the school. I made my way slowly to the front of the line. Right before I reached the front, this is after an hour of waiting in line, Derek calls me on my cell.
"Are you still waiting to get Leah?"
Me "yes, this line is nuts."
Derek "because she's here, she took the bus home."
Me "What?!!! I'm stuck in line, I can't move, I'll be home when I can."
I finally made my way to the front of the line so I could get out and drove home. I was so glad Derek had been home to receive Leah. I was upset about what could have happened. I tried to figure out what happened and decided I needed to take Leah to school the next morning to get things straight with her teacher. We had had a discussion on orientation night with Leah's teacher that she would be a car rider for the first few days until she was comfortable taking the bus. I guess in the craziness of it all, that was confused. She had been a bus rider ever since and she loves it.
Charlie's First Day of Pre-School
Charlie was able to start pre-school the very next day. He was so excited to finally be going to school too. I watched all the other kids and moms in tears at the separation. Not Charlie, he ran into the classroom and barely gave me a backward glance. I was happy for his easy transition. It wasn't that difficult for me either. I was so happy he was happy. He was nothing but smiles when I came to pick him up again. He wants to go to school everyday, but he's only in a 3 day a week program. Next year we will aim for a 5 day pre-k.I spent the kids first day of school enjoying my freedom with some much needed mall shopping and lunch. Something I NEVER do when I have one or two in tow.
I am savoring my freedom while it lasts. Pretty soon, I won't be alone while the kids are away at school.
No comments:
Post a Comment