October 2, 2011

Savannah

Over Memorial Day weekend, we took the family on a short vacation to see some of Georgia.  Last time we were here I was pregnant with Leah and too sick for trips.  Little did I know the same thing was about to happen.  I was pregnant on this trip, I just didn't know it.  I'm glad we got this one in before we were all sequestered to the house.  

We decided to head to Savannah since so many people have told us how beautiful it was and it's such a historic city.  Our trip was hampered a bit by the rain.  We managed to head downtown and see a really cool old railroad museum.  Our plans of touring around downtown after the trains were curtailed by the rain.


 Charlie inside one of the box cars.  I loved the huge wrenches.
 Sitting in the caboose.  The seating was up high and it was open underneath for who knows what.

 The Caboose


 There was a fantastic model city of Savannah that was well over 20 feet long.  The kids spent a good amount of time watching the several trains make their way through the city.

 Leah took my picture.  Probably one of the only ones of me from this year since I'm always behind the camera.
 All the trains were housed in a traditional train shed. I didn't know those were really used. I thought it was only on Thomas the Train.  They even had one of those circular rotating tracks to turn the engine.

Our next day we had much better weather.  He headed over to Tybee Island for some fun on the beach.  It was a beautiful day.  I can't believe how much warmer the Atlantic Ocean is compared to the Pacific.  People aren't kidding when they say it feels like bath water.  It was a little colder than bath water for us, but then again we were there in May not August.  Charlie didn't want to go in the water, but Leah is turning into a little fish.  She loved playing in the waves.  We even saw some dead jellyfish floating in the water and on the beach.  Tybee was a pretty place, but very touristy.  It really reminded me of that busy strip through Lake Tahoe, I forget the name of the town but it's the west side of the Lake.



Savannah definitely had some pretty parts.  I enjoyed seeing some of the old mansions in the downtown area and all the old trees covered in Spanish moss.  Most of the old homes were run down, but you could see where some people had purchased them and were restoring them to their former glory.  I would have loved to tour through some of those old places.   The rain kept me from taking pictures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment