I love Bountiful Baskets. I have been getting their fruit and veggie basket for almost a year now. A few weeks ago I got a big bunch of cherries in the basket and all I could think of was I wanted a cherry pie. I've never made a fresh cherry pie before. I researched a bunch of cherry pie recipes and found one that seemed promising. I would share it with you, but it was not good. I found it on one of my favorite recipe sites and it had glowing, blue ribbon award winning reviews. They lied. But that's beside the point of this post today. While reading the reviews for this famous pie recipe, one of the posters mentioned briefly how she pitted her cherries using a beer bottle and a pencil without an eraser. I HATE pitting cherries. I don't have a cherry pitter so I've always used a knife and it leaves my fingers stained and the counters stained and a big old mess. So naturally I was intrigued by this beer bottle idea. She didn't explain any further than that so I had to use my imagination on how it would actually work and since I don't drink beer I had to come up with an alternative to the beer bottle brilliance. I was so pleased and excited at how easy it was to pit these cherries I had to share this with the world.
The Supplies:
One glass
A funnel
A pencil with the eraser removed
A bowl for disemboweled cherries
Me, I set the cherry, stem removed but stem side facing up, in the bottom of my funnel. I found it easier to puncture if the stem was facing up.

You can see my pencil went all the way through the funnel and the cherry pit falls into the bottom of the glass.
.
This is a close up of the action. The pit gets caught in the pencil.
Lovely, pit-less cherry all ready for my pie.
So easy, I was able to pit all the cherries for my pie in about 30 minutes. And see...no cherry stains on my fingers. Awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment