This is a new personal best for me. I don't think I have EVER taken pictures of something, downloaded said pictures and posted it on my blog...on the same day!
A while back I started looking for a new dresser for Charlie. Once this baby decided to make her appearance, Charlie will loose his dresser since it's part of the crib set. I thought I had one all picked out at a local furniture store. I went in to buy it and got a better look at the size and quality and changed my mind. I could just see Charlie destroying that in a matter of months. So I did a quick look online at higher end stores and decided I wasn't ready, not to mention Derek, to part with that much money. Furniture is expensive. Ikea was my next option I figured I could take Charlie and drive there and back while Leah was at school.. I had it all planned out. While I waited for said day, I started browsing Craigslist to see if there was something there that might work. I had several options, not all of them fantastic to look at but nothing a little paint couldn't fix. Some of them were still a little pricey. Then I found what I thought was the perfect set. It was more pieces than I needed but super cheap. I was getting the run around by the seller. I thought I had lost these great finds. Luckily the person who was going to buy them decided they were too crappy for him and she called me back. I was in the middle of taking my frustrations out on my car by cleaning it when I got the call. So happy! I had a friend follow me to the house because
1. I couldn't lift the pieces myself and
2. There was no way all four pieces would fit in my car.
When I brought them home and Derek helped unload them, he was not pleased with my finds. Really they looked pretty crappy and even the steal I got them for seemed like too much money to him. His doubts gave me doubts and I was beginning to regret my hastiness. Oh, well, what's done was done and I just had to make the best of it.
I really only needed the tall dresser and one night stand. But they seller sold them as a set and I figured we could use the others eventually or resell them.
On Monday Charlie and I hit Home Depot to get our refinishing supplies. We both wanted blue, he light and me dark. I won, I mean I am the designer out of the two of us. I am really happy with the color we picked. I almost went with another blue, but this one is the perfect shade. Later that day we roughed up the varnish with a sander to get it ready for our primer coat. Charlie was a fantastic helper. He even grabbed a brush and helped me paint the primer on both pieces. I couldn't believe what a good job he did. I had more paint on me than he did.
It only took 2 coats of blue paint to get them all covered and looking great. I spray painted the original knobs. I wanted to buy new pulls but those things are pricey! Derek was already freaking out about the cost of this project and a can of spray paint would have to do the trick.
I am very happy with the result. I can't wait to get it up in his room and start using it. The only change I may make in the future is to add some gliding rails to the drawers so they pull out a little easier, but I don't have the tools and I think THAT can wait until I'm not 8 months pregnant.
Amazing the difference between the original and my refinish. I can hardly believe they were part of the same set. My final picture is missing pulls because I had to add another coat of paint of them and I wasn't patient enough to wait for the paint to dry before taking the final pictures. That's what I get for spray painting in the dark.
No comments:
Post a Comment