March 3, 2009

New Toys

I have been spoiled lately. As hard and terrible as it is having Derek away from our family for a year, I've been enjoying the extra pay. We have been better able to get some of those little "extras" in life. Some of you have heard, and some have seen my Valentine's Day gift. (It wasn't really, but we bought it on Valentine's Day, so I can pretend right?")
This has been many years in the making. I've begged, literally for years to upgrade our piece of CRT. Movie and TV watching have changed forever...
My new toy arrived this morning and I've already tested it out, and my lucky friends, living close will the be recipients of some of this bounty.

So what is it, you may be thinking? It's a wheat grinder. You know for grinding whole wheat kernels into flour. Yes, I'm the little red hen. I have a wheat grinder from ages past, old mill stone and everything, but it isn't doing so well. It makes great cracked wheat, but not so great on the flour. Derek and I are working on building our food storage and this is an essential part of the process for us. His mother has always made whole wheat bread and my grandma has always made bread, so I am going to start making fresh bread as well. His mom gave me her recipe a few years ago and showed me some of the tricks, so I'm going to be practicing like crazy to get it right.

It's nice to be spoiled.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! We are working on our food storage too. Little by little it will get there. The funny thing, Dean is so excited about it. He's more excited about it than I am. We are starting our garden and compost pile this spring. Me I am learning to cook more. I'm not as bad at it as I thought. You will have to let me know if you like your mill. That is next on our list of things to buy, along with a mixer (My red one I hope!). Miss talking to you, call me sometime. Hugs-Summie

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy valentines to you! i miss you! love ya!

    ReplyDelete