July 28, 2008

the host

One of the things I've loved doing the most since I went on my sewing hiatus is being able to read again. I received a notice from my library the other day that one of my book requests was in and waiting for me. I didn't even remember having a request. The book was the host by Stephenie Meyer, the author of the Twilight Saga. I was already in the middle of trying to read my book club book, Pillars of the Earth when I picked this up. Once I started reading, I couldn't put it down. My poor children...such neglect. I read the 500+ page book in about 3 days. Stephenie calls it "science fiction for those that don't like science fiction". Well I love anything that's a bit off kilter from reality, something that could be real, but as far as we know, isn't. This book was perfect for me. The love story in it wasn't quite as unbelievable as I found the story in Twilight...and I LIKED that. The story was so believable, it was kinda scary. I'm not good at book reviews, I've never had the talent for breaking down a book and saying what was so wonderful about it, unless I was discussing the book with people who have already read it. I tend to give away the parts that need to be secret. All I'll say is, what a incredibly fascinating storyline mixed with love and loss and the complexity of human relations and emotions. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes a good story they can get lost in.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, I read it in about 36 hours last week. Didn't cook, didn't clean, just read. Isn't it fantastic? I wanted to start again as soon as I finished, but I decided the boys deserved to have their mom back for a few days...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Sabatini FamilyJuly 29, 2008 at 4:02 PM

    I too went on hiatus for 3 days until I finished this book! It totally sucked me in. I liked it overall, but I thought she could have been a little more "creative" with the other planets... I can't wait for the last Twilight book to come out though!!!!

    ReplyDelete